Always use white granulated sugar.
Anything else can cause digestive upsets in bees.
Bees do not mind whether it is from sugar beet or sugar cane.
Syrup for Bees for Spring
1kg of white granulated sugar into l litre of water
Syrup for Bees for Autumn
1kg of white granulated sugar into 0.5 litres of water
- Boil 500ml of water.
- Add 2kg white granulated sugar
- Boil with the lid off till temperature rises to 114C
- Allow it to cool to 93C
- Whisk to incorporate as much air as you can
- Pour into suit molds (I use small plastic boxes costing £1 from a well known store.)
- Allow to cool
- Place on the hive - still in the same container - on top of crown board.